Sunday, January 3, 2010

Finally!! Mom had a good day!

This evening I finally heard the attitude in Mom that I've been praying for.  Mom told me that she had a good day and that she enjoyed the young people that worked at the ALF!   Today, for the first time in 7 months, I left her room without feeling guilty.  I will leave town after a weeks' visit without feeling guilty.  I know she'll still have some bad days and bad moods but for now I am so VERY, VERY relieved.   It's an enormous weight off my mind.  

Her good day started with good conversation.  Her tablemate's son visited during breakfast and they had quite a talk about the railroad and the men - my uncles - who worked there.   She also had some fun with the other women in her dining room; they schemed about practical jokes that they could play on other residents and the aides.  It's refreshing that her spirited side can still come through. 

Mom seemed to sense that I needed to hear something positive from her.  She's missed having people go in and out of her home; it's been a long time since lively young people ran in and out.  She enjoyed the aides that came in to plop down on her bed for a few minutes to take a breather and check on her.  She likes that they feel comfortable enough to stretch out on her bed or sit for a coffee or soda with her.  I'm liking that she's feeling at home and so comfortable with the other residents and staff.