I've surveyed some friends to find what they're doing for their parents and grand parents. I hope you'll find some useful ideas here:
- sets of blank cards, "fat" pens and stamps so they can keep in touch with friends and family
- a new address book - then help them transfer the names and addresses
- photo albums with old and new photos - consider pictures of grand kids on the left page then a photo of the same grand child as an adult or with their family. This can help jog their memories too
- Calendars with family photos. You can easily up load photos to several services (Walmart, Kodak, Windows) layout the calendar and have it mailed to them. It takes all of 30-45 minutes!! Thank Gawd for technology!!
- Photos of them with friends and family - my Mom loves her photos with her and her great granddaughter
- Calendars with their favorite flowers
- If your elder is in a nursing home they;d probably appreciate anything that replicates the things they had at home - family photos, photos of pets or flowers.
- People in nursing homes also need practical things: lotion, socks, sweaters, undershirts, slippers, tissues to clean glasses, pens and paper, fanny packs or other bags that can easily strap on to walkers or wheel chairs