Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Use caution when moving your parent to a new state

Moving your parent to an ALF or nursing home near you seems ideal but it could cause financial duress and mean your parent doesn't qualify for financial assistance.  Some states will not approve financial assistance (medicaide) until a person has established residency.  In my Mom's state, that's 30 days and proof that she intends to stay.  In another state it's six months!  At $3-5000 a month, that's a substantial amount to pay until they qualify.

The best practice - do research LONG before your parent or elder might move closer to you.   Contact your state medicaide office to understand VERY clearly the residency requirements, asset limits and application process.

How can I move my parent to a new state? moving my parent near me, state aid and moving my parent,