Monday, February 15, 2010

Moving a parent to your state could cost A LOT!!

Before moving your elderly parent to your state be very careful about finances.   If your parent requires financial assistance from the state for medical expenses or long term care, you might NOT be able to move them.   Assistance programs like this are intended for STATE RESIDENTS, not transplants from other locations.    Your parent might have to establish residency in the state BEFORE they are eligible to get any assistance.   Each state has different residency requirements so check those out thoroughly before moving your elder.

The best advice I can offer is to move your parent close to you BEFORE they might need the assistance - long before.  If you don't do this, you might have to pay their expenses or have them live in your home until they establish residency and qualify for assistance.